Am I awake?

Friday, March 24, 2006

Does anyone remember that show "Resident Life" on TLC? I have the theme song to that in my head.

Am I awake?
What time is it?
When I get through this day
Can someone tell me how
And how much longer now
Am I awake?


It's by "They might be giants".

So I decided to start a blog to talk about non-musical stuff, primarily my career stuff. Right now I'm pre-med. I just had my mock interview with my advisor (and another dean who I've never met). I feared the worst going in because I thought I was "The World's Worst Interviewer". In fact, part of why I ended up staying at that corporate job for 8 YEARS was because whenever I did attempt to leave for another job I ended up completely bombing the interviews. I thought I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder from it. I was seriously scared of interviews.

I knew for months that the mock interview was one of the requirements I had to get through in order to complete this program. In January we were asked to sign up for our time and I picked March 24th because it was the week after Spring Break. I figured that if I didn't have a chance to prepare until then I'd still have the break. Hahahahah. Of course, no preparation was done until maybe 5PM last night. I read up on some of the major health care issues. I sat around and thought what I might answer when they asked "Why medicine?" or "Tell me about yourself" or "Why should we pick you over other candidates?" I pondered all this for an hour or two and then had to practice and get ready for my gig.

We didn't get home from said gig until 5 AM this morning and I had to get up at 7 AM. In honor of past, current, and future sleepless nights I dub this new blog "Am I Awake?".

Oh, the intereview went extraordinarily well, by the way! I am completely blown away and in disbelief. As we drove in this morning I was sure it would be a complete fiasco. My feedback at the end was ALL positive. They liked . . . everything. My advisor said that I handled it like a true professional. What the hell? ME?? The world's (ex) worst interviewer? Maybe I do know what I want after all. Maybe I have indeed matured. Just when I'm about to quit this damn pre-med gig, things start looking up and I get encouraged all over again (at least until the next obstacle).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home